2017 FARM INTERN JOB POSTING (CANADA SUMMER JOBS)
The Sharing Farm is a not-for-profit community organization that grows organic vegetables on donated city lands for the Richmond Food Bank and other community agencies. We are looking for enthusiastic, hard-working farm interns for May – August 2017.
The Sharing Farm is a unique community farm combining the practice of organic farming set within a framework of food justice and food security in the region. The four acre farm is situated within Richmond’s Terra Nova Rural Park, located at the west end of Westminster Highway, alongside the West Dyke, in Richmond BC. It is accessible by bus, skytrain, car, or bicycle.
Interns will have access to many different skill sets, including greenhouse cultivation, beekeeping, market gardening, composting, farm machinery use, and more. Interns will gain valuable skills in multiple aspects of organic farming, as well as running a farmers’ market stand and a community-supported agriculture (CSA) program.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with field preparation, field maintenance, crop development, crop harvest, and post-harvest handling
- Keep records and a farm journal
- Work alongside and help supervise volunteers
- Assist with educational programs, tours, special events and fund-raising activities
- Assist with the transportation and distribution of vegetables
- Keep farm and storage areas organized and tidy
- Assist running a CSA program
- Report to the Field Manager
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS (Service Canada):
- currently a full-time student who intends to return to college or university in the fall of 2017
- 18-30 years of age
- Canadian citizen, permanent resident or refugee
- Be self-motivated, flexible, willing to take initiative, work well independently and in a team environment
- Be physically fit and enjoy working outside in all kinds of weather
- Be available on weekends
- Proven ability in working effectively with volunteers and/or co-workers
- Strong record-keeping ability
- Ability to operate and maintain tools and equipment
- (preferably) Valid driver’s license
- (preferably) Have farming or gardening experience
- The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in organic farming and an interest in continuing in this field.
Salary: $12 per hour + benefits
35 hour work week, must be available weekends.
Approx. 9-14 weeks depending on final HRDC Canada Summer Jobs approval of grant application.
Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as we will begin interviewing in early April.
Application deadline: April 14, 2017
Please submit resume and a cover letter to:
Farm Administrator: Leslie Williams firstname.lastname@example.org