2017 FARM EVENTS INTERN JOB POSTING (CANADA SUMMER JOBS)
The Sharing Farm is a not-for-profit community organization that grows organic vegetables on donated city lands for the Richmond Food Bank and other community agencies. We are looking for an enthusiastic, hard-working farm events intern for May – August 2017.
The Sharing Farm is a unique community farm combining the practice of organic farming set within a framework of food justice and food security in the region. The four acre farm is situated within Richmond’s Terra Nova Rural Park, located at the west end of Westminster Highway, alongside the West Dyke, in Richmond BC. It is accessible by bus, skytrain, car, or bicycle.
Interns will have access to many different skill sets, including event planning and coordination, greenhouse cultivation, market gardening, composting, beekeeping, and more. Interns will gain valuable skills in multiple aspects of organic farming, as well as running a farmers’ market stand and a community-supported agriculture (CSA) program.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist Communications/Events Coordinator with all aspects of event preparation and implementation
- Work alongside and help supervise and organize volunteers
- Help maintain online presence in terms of social media, blog posts, newsletter, and other venues
- Assist with field preparation, field maintenance, crop development, crop harvest, and post-harvest handling
- Assist with educational programs, tours, and fund-raising activities
- Assist running a CSA program
- Report to the Executive Director
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS (Service Canada):
- Currently a full-time student who intends to return to college or university in the fall of 2017
- 18-30 years of age
- Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Be self-motivated, flexible, willing to take initiative, work well independently and in a team environment
- Have excellent computer, communication and organization skills
- Familiarity with WordPress an asset
- Be physically fit and enjoy working outside in all kinds of weather
- Be available on weekends
- Proven ability in working effectively with volunteers and/or co-workers
- (preferably) Valid driver’s license
- (preferably) Have experience with event planning and social media, and familiarity with not-for-profit organizations and issues of food security.
- The ideal candidate will have a strong interest in organic farming and/ or food security.
Salary: $12 per hour + benefits
35 hour work week, must be available weekends.
Approx. 9-14 weeks depending on final HRDC Canada Summer Jobs approval of grant application.
Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as we will begin interviewing in early April.
Application deadline: April 14, 2017
Please submit resume and a cover letter to:
Farm Administrator: Leslie Williams firstname.lastname@example.org