HIRING for September 2016:
for THE SHARING FARM SOCIETY
The Sharing Farm Society, a nonprofit organization located in Richmond, British Columbia,
is looking for a full-time permanent Executive Director starting in September 2016.
The Sharing Farm Society is a community of amazing staff, directors, and volunteers who
work together to grow organic fruits and vegetables for donation to our neighbours in
need. Our 3.5 acre farm is located on City land at the northwestern tip of Richmond in
Terra Nova Rural Park. We are a community farm, embracing the efforts of a large
number of volunteers for our production and activities. Learn more about us and our
mission and activities at on the website.
Executive Director Position
This is a full time position averaging 37.50 hours per week over a 12-month period. Reporting
to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) will have overall strategic
and operational responsibility for staff, farm operation, programs, funding, and execution
of The Sharing Farm’s mission.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
• Relationship Building and Networking – with community groups, funders, City
staff and other organizations to raise awareness and to seek support for our
• Fundraising – Research and identify opportunities to generate funds to ensure
the fiscal financial health of the organization is sustained.
• Financial Management – Develop and manage annual budget; work with Treasurer
and bookkeeper to maintain financial records.
• Operational Management – Includes all aspects of the farm operations year
• Human and financial resources – Meet the operational goals of the organization;
includes hiring, performance management and training of all staff as well as the
administration of funds in accordance with the approved budget.
• Reporting – monthly reporting to the Board and attend monthly Board meetings.
• Strategic planning – Participate with the Board in developing the vision and strategic
plans to guide the organization.
• Self-motivated, independently working individual
• Significant experience in at least two of the following:
o Organic farming and/or commercial farm management,
o Management of a nonprofit organization
• Proven staff management skills
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Strong organizational and time management skills
• Must have a valid driver’s license
Preference will be given to those candidates who have additional experience in the following
• Demonstrated understanding of the non-profit sector;
• Experience in direct marketing and or social enterprise;
• Experience in grant writing;
• Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain excellent relations with funders, community
partners and the municipal government;
• Undergraduate degree in a related field;
• Experience in a management or leadership role; and/or
• Project management experience.
Salary range: $40,000 – $60,000. (Starting salary will be based on experience and qualification
of the selected candidate).
Please send a cover letter and resume, including all relevant experience and training, to:
Maureen Langen, Co-chair of the Board, email@example.com by August 10th,
Applicants selected for an interview will be notified no later than: August 14th, 2016. If
you do not receive a call for an interview, we thank you for your application and will retain
it on file.