The Sharing Farm is looking for an experienced small scale farmer for the 2015 season. This an 8 month seasonal position beginning in March. We are posting this position now in order that prospective candidates can view The Sharing Farm while still in season and discuss the operation with us. As such we are seeking a letter of interest for this position, expressing your experience as it relates to the job description below. Prospective candidates will be invited for a site visit.
The Sharing Farm Society is a community of amazing staff, directors, and volunteers who work together to grow organic vegetables for donation to our neighbours in need. Our 3-acre farm is located on City land at the northwestern tip of Richmond at Terra Nova Rural Park. We are a community farm, embracing the efforts of a large number of volunteers for our production and activities. Annually we donate upwards of 10,000 pounds of fresh organic produce to the Richmond Food Bank and community meals programs in the city.
Field Manager Position
This is a seasonal staff position averaging 35 hours per week over the growing season (March to November). Our field farm manager reports to the Executive Director and is responsible for the overall management of field operations, planting, processing and distribution of the crops.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Developing crop plan for the growing season
- Maintain crop records (detailed production and harvest records)
- Seeding for the field and for transplants
- Maintaining crops and managing harvests
- Maintaining fertilizers, seeds, and other consumables, and ordering when needed
- Overseeing post-harvest processing and food delivery to Food Bank, CSA members and other recipients of the food
- Coordinating the field practicum for Richmond Farm School students, and integrating this into field operations. Working with Farm School coordinator and other practicum coordinators
- Hiring and training summer field staff
- Organizing and delegating field tasks for field staff, volunteers and students
- Work with other staff to develop events and community activities
- Several years’ experience in small-scale farming and crop management
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Experience managing staff
- Experience directing volunteers
Please send a letter expressing your interest in this position and details of your experience as it relates to the position. Send to email@example.com by October 27th, 2014.
Include both phone and email methods to contact you.
Applicants selected for a site visit and meeting will be notified no later than October 23. If you do not receive a call, we thank you for your application and will retain it on file.
The position will begin March 2015.