(CANADA SUMMER JOBS)
The Sharing Farm is a non-profit community organization that grows vegetables on donated city lands for the Richmond Food Bank and other community agencies. We are looking for enthusiastic, hard-workingfarm interns for May – August 2014.
The Sharing Farm is a unique community farm combining the practice of organic farming set within a framework of food justice and food security in the region. The three acrefarm is situated within Richmond’s Terra Nova Rural Park, and is also home to Kwantlen University’s Richmond Farm School.
Interns will have access to many different workshops, classes, and skill sets, including permaculture, composting, greenhouse cultivation, beekeeping, market gardening and more. Interns will gain valuable skills in organic farming, and running a community-supported agriculture (CSA) program.
The Sharing Farm is located at the west end of Westminster Highway, alongside the West Dyke, in Richmond BC. It is accessible by bus, skytrain, car, or bicycle. It is about a ten minute walk from the nearest bus stop.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with field preparation, field maintenance, crop development, crop harvest, and post harvest handling
- Keep records and a farm journal
- Assist with the supervision and training of volunteers andFarm School students
- Assist with educational programs, tours, special events and fund-raising activities
- Assist with the transportation and distribution of vegetables
- Keep farm and storage areas organized and tidy
- Assist running a CSA program
- Report to the Field Manager.
- Be self-motivated, flexible, willing to take initiative, work well independently and in a team environment
- Be physically fit and enjoy working outside in all kinds of weather
- Proven ability in working effectively with volunteers and/or co-workers
- Strong record-keeping ability
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to operate and maintain tools and equipment
- (preferably) Have farming or gardening experience
The ideal candidates will have a strong interest in organicfarming and an interest in continuing in this field.
Salary: $12 per hour + benefits
35 hour work week, Tuesday-Saturday.
Approx. 14 weeks depending on final HRDC Canada Summer Jobs approval of grant application
Requirements (Service Canada requirements)
- Must currently be a full-time student, who will be returning to college or university in the fall of 2014
- 18 to 30 years of age
- Canadian citizen or permanent resident
In your application, please indicate that you meet these three requirements.
Application deadline: April 4, 2014
Please submit resume and a cover letter to:
Farm Administrator: Leslie Williams