for THE SHARING FARM SOCIETY
The Sharing Farm Society (SFS) is looking for a dynamic, committed, and experienced farmer to join our team as Farm Manager.
The Sharing Farm Society is a community of amazing staff, directors, and volunteers who work together to grow organic fruits and vegetables for donation to our neighbours in need. Our 3-acre farm is located on City land at the northwestern tip of Richmond at Terra Nova Rural Park, and our 1.5 acre orchard is located on Richmond’s South Dyke. We are a community farm, embracing the efforts of a large number of volunteers for our production and activities. We are guided by our recent strategic plan and 2013 operations plan, and by our values and mission:
“We value ecological stewardship, positive action and collaboration.
We embrace empowerment and inclusiveness, and act with respect, gratitude and integrity.”
“We Grow Food, We Grow Farmers, We Grow Community.”
The Farm Manager Position
This is a year-round staff position for an average of 20 hours per week, balancing out a significant reduction in hours between Nov-Feb, and peak times during the summer.
This position is a 2 year position with the possibility of renewal.
The Farm Manager (FM) is the conduit for communications between the Board of Directors, volunteers, and staff of The Sharing Farm Society. All Coordinators will report to the FM, and the FM to the Board of Directors, in planning and execution of projects, programs and events.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage all aspects of running the farm operations year round (crop production, harvesting, distribution to community programs, materials & supplies, waste management, site maintenance, equipment/facilities maintenance, training, workplace safety)
- Manage and oversee all human resources (staff & volunteers) in their coordination of operations and projects (e.g. Field Staff, Greenhouse Program, Orchard, Volunteer Program, Marketing & Communications, events, funded projects, and other initiatives)
o Oversee & conduct performance reviews; recognize and acknowledge the input of volunteers and staff
o Provide a safe, secure, dignified and respectful working and volunteering environment
o Resolve challenges and conflicts in a timely and sensitive manner
- Oversee planning & implementation (crop plans, annual operations plan, projects planning and management)
- Liaise with Kwantlen Farm School Practicum Coordinator to provide a meaningful experience to students and maximize their labour for farm benefit
- Liaise with external partners such as City of Richmond, Richmond Food Security Society, Nature Park Society and Richmond Schoolyard Society, and Kwantlen Farm School to ensure harmonious co-existence on the sites of Terra Nova Rural Park and the South Orchard.
- Identify and pursue opportunities for raising funds and generating revenue, within the Charity regulation of CRA.
- Record-keeping, Reporting & Evaluation:
o Oversee record-keeping, evaluation & reporting for all farm production and projects
o Provide reports, in collaboration with the Board of Directors, as required by funding partners and regulatory agencies.
o Report to the Board of Directors: attend board meetings, provide monthly farm reports
- Uphold the mission, values and mandate of The Sharing Farm Society.
- Substantial experience in organic farming and production-scale farm management
- Practical field skills: crop production, disease management, weed management, soil management
- Experience training and managing staff and volunteers
- Able to be multi-dimensional and fluid, moving between fieldwork, supervision, and paperwork
- Strong leadership skills and excellent communication skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Must have a valid driver’s license
Experience in project management, grant-writing, and non-profit or community organizations are an asset.
Experience with small-scale machinery is an asset.
Passion for farming is a must.
$20/hr (plus CPP, EI, vacation pay)
Please send a cover letter and resume, including all relevant experience and training, to:
firstname.lastname@example.org by Mar. 2, 2013
Please include three references with your application, two of whom are for farm-related positions. Also include both phone and email methods to contact you.
Applicants selected for an interview will be notified no later than Mar.4, 2013. If you do not receive a call for an interview, we thank you for your application and will retain it on file.
The position will begin April 1st or sooner.